Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Weird, Wild Night

Wow AGAIN... I saw something last night that I had never seen before. Some guy sat down with $50 at a 9-player $0.25/$0.50 PLO table (deep stack, $100 maximum buy-in) and walked away with a shade more than $700... after only 90 hands! How did he do it? A combination of sheer luck and impatience by the other players. He was also hyper-aggressive... he knew nothing other than the bet/raise pot and fold button... and that fold button was rarely touched.

He played any 4 cards just about and won HUGE pots with them... some examples:

AJ33 (DS) for $269.50
AJ92 (3-suited in clubs) for $242.55
KT63 (DS) for $215 (oddly, I held T633)... his two pair (kings and sixes) beat a pair of aces

I got involved in one hand against him... I raised it up with 6789, suited in hearts. He called from the big blind. Two others called also. The flop came 772... and he fires out with a pot sized bet ($6). After two folds, I make the call. He's representing either 22, 72 or maybe A7 or K7... all have me beat, but that's ok... I have a ton of outs... I'm fairly sure that I'm either going to double up or lose a small chunk of my $160 stack in this hand.

The turn is a 4... and he fires out another pot sized bet ($18). Again, an easy call for me in position. The river was a king and he fired out a pot sized bet yet again for $54. Well, it was an easy fold for me... the luckbox probably held 247K... either that or a donk-played, missed flush draw. But had I hit a 5, 6 or 8... oh, what could have been. I just don't see how he would have folded to a re-raise if I had hit... like I said, it seemed like he didn't know what the fold button was.

Yes, it was a weird, wild night.

No comments: